Once an island, today a small charming town, which has been known for the fishery throughout centuries. Izola has rich history and it is often overlooked, but this hidden gem will surprise you with the greenery, friendly people and rich history ... More info ›
Once an island, today a small charming town, which has been known for the fishery throughout centuries. Izola has rich history and it is often overlooked, but this hidden gem will surprise you with the greenery, friendly people and rich history. Local licensed guide will explain you interesting history, tell you about the fishery, which was the most important engagement for centuries and you will also hear the stories, which are still living in between the narrow streets of the center.
The area was already populated in the Roman era and it developed throughout history mainly on fishery and agriculture. Today Izola is a small fishing town with an artistic soul.
Your guide will lead you from the meeting point to the highlights that Izola has to offer:
- Solar dock is a promenade along the sea and it is a part of the longest walking path on the Slovenian coast.
- Mandrač or local harbor: the harbor still today is practically in the center of the town and it shows, how important the sea was and still is to the inhabitants of the area.
- Opposite of the mandrač on the Big square there were important building, today we can still see the former Town Hall and a part of Loggia.
- Fishing pier with fishing boats, where the guide will explain you development of fisheries in Izola.
- Manzioli square with Manzioli and Lovisato palace and the church of St. Mary from Haliaetum. The square is named after Tommaso Manzioli, former mayor of Izola, whose family moved from Bologna in the early 14th century.
- Besenghi palace is one of the most important late baroque buildings in Slovenia.
- Church of St. Mauro, where you will hear the story about the dove, who saved Izola from destruction.
- On the Ljubljanska street the guide will show you the artistic side of this peaceful charming town. On Ljubljanska street there are many galleries, handicraft workshops and a few bars, where locals enjoy to sit, relax and chat.
The tour lasts aroud 1,5 hour but may be shortened or extended. Because of the private nature of the tour and experienced guide it can be adapted to the interests of the visitors. It is appropriate for persons with disabilities.